You see, I think the current voting rights fight isn’t just about politics. Instead, I think of it as just one more battle within a larger war over who gets to be an American, and who among Americans gets to control the meaning of America. That war is not just about political rights, it’s about who controls our culture, and that’s something to be very concerned about.
Why? Because culture is at the heart of identity. Our identities, how we are defined, whether or not we are recognized as who we believe ourselves to be and found worthy, drives our politics. When our identities are threatened, we will do almost anything to protect ourselves.
Food, especially food that “swings American,” is a great gauge of American culture and identity. For instance, we think of hamburgers as an all-American food. But hamburger is named after Hamburg, Germany. The hotdog also has German roots. But these are, truly, American foods. Just as American as choy suey, General Tso’s chicken, and fortune cookies, all also invented in America but that we, nonetheless, think of as Chinese.
I grew up in the 1960s and 70s, back when that La Choy commercial was considered about as offensive as selling water softener as an “ancient Chinese secret.” That was a much more naive time for whites. That naivete was rooted in the unquestioned dominance of whiteness. In fact, so dominant were whites that American was synonymous with Caucasian.
But the racial equity movements of my childhood would soon shatter that naivete, pulling whites into a struggle to maintain their cultural dominance that made the contours and vulnerabilities of whiteness visible to whites, perhaps for the first time. Until then, being the assumed racial and cultural norm of America was fundamental to white identity and to the ethos of American exceptionalism.
But when white cultural advantage was challenged, white folk mobilized. KKK membership grew, White Citizens Councils formed, and the Republican Party stepped in to provide a political vehicle for white backlash that is still in effect today.
And now, as the racial demographics of the U.S. and the world turn to the increasing numerical advantage of non-whites, the backlash movement that peaked in the 1990s is resurgent. Membership in racist Patriot groups and vigilante border patrols is on the rise, and Tea Parties and groups like True the Vote are wreaking havoc on our political process. And they’re not nearly done yet. The global scale of white conservative ambitions can be measured by the body count in what increasingly appears to be a permanent war against the so-called Muslim world, the popular support for which is founded in Islamophobia.
It is in this context that the current voter suppression efforts we are seeing around the country should be understood. Overcoming these efforts in this election cycle is only one among many battles. Unless we see that battle as connected to the battles for immigration rights, religious freedom, racial equity and gender equity, reproductive and sexual freedom, and the battle to curtail the ambitions driving the expansion of American empire, we are missing the dynamics of the larger war and may soon find much more than voting rights among its casualties.
- athenakeene reblogged this from dakotacityukuleleorchestra
- athenakeene likes this
- dakotacityukuleleorchestra reblogged this from aragingquiet
- fiercelyfeminist likes this
- thexenocide reblogged this from meganabakes
- votersuppressionisreal likes this
- windydi likes this
- pizzawolves reblogged this from racialicious
- meganabakes reblogged this from racialicious
- orie-ana reblogged this from racialicious
- thestrengthofmylife likes this
- poeticsheretic reblogged this from racialicious
- teacherdee reblogged this from racialicious
- their-child reblogged this from racialicious
- mhypomnemata reblogged this from ohmysaintedaunt
- nerdgirl42 likes this
- auroraluminous reblogged this from racialicious
- ohmysaintedaunt reblogged this from racialicious
- pops3284 reblogged this from racialicious
- joulupuuro reblogged this from racialicious
- stephengoeslive likes this
- mattman1624 reblogged this from racialicious
- mattman1624 likes this
- thegreatcompromise likes this
- justjaybaby reblogged this from racialicious
- whoisthismariaperson likes this
- thecolorsky reblogged this from racialicious
- magicpuppies likes this
- callmecoco likes this
- idriss-m likes this
- cognitivebehaviors likes this
- mysticstar reblogged this from racialicious
- glorytothesickened reblogged this from algandarsmanor
- foxnewsfanclub likes this
- pbnpineapples reblogged this from racialicious
- sharksinspace likes this
- iggymogo likes this
- sweetjustice likes this
- ink-redulous likes this
- weakdaes reblogged this from racialicious
- becauseithinktoomuch reblogged this from basedsushigoat
- basedsushigoat likes this
- slowkingvictim reblogged this from racialicious
- blakyokojones likes this
- laorish reblogged this from racialicious
- eurogaysian likes this
- chakrabot likes this
- soylatina reblogged this from soylatina
- backonthefringes likes this